Keep On Talking and Taking the Prescribed Medication ...

I had barely written the opening line to a new blog post, way back at the beginning of November  with appropriate links to past posts on a similar subject  - "Time for a post to prove to myself that I am still able to write a few coherent paragraphs, as I am feeling better than I did yesterday" ...  when  I became very poorly, physically and mentally and was barely able to function in the most basic and fundamental of  human actions.

The reason, which knowing me or from reading this blog is not difficult to understand   - I had stopped taking my prescribed medication; yes again. (see links at end of post)

The reasons for doing so are predictable (for me and for many others I have discussed this with). I was fine. My diet and lifestyle was healthy. I ate vegetarian and organic, drank teas made from herbs grown in my own garden, used home made soaps, laundry, home cleaners and toiletries which were "Free From All Nasties and Natural". I wanted, again, to erase as many chemicals and artificial substances from my life as possible and this could not be done while taking these unnatural medications, namely Fluoxetine (Prozac) an antidepressant known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) used to treat depression, anxiety, panic and other disorders. Ironically, more than anything I wanted to be in control of my mind and body, thinking that because I was 'well' at the time that I didn't need to take the medication anymore.  

Of course, as I know when I am 'normal', it is  the medication which keeps me so. 

I had gradually reduced the medication  and had been ok (as I thought) for more than 9 months. In reality I had taken the meds for so long that it had taken this time for them to get out of my body  system. Now I had full blown withdrawal symptoms and it was seriously unpleasant. Very low mood, no appetite, chills and shivering, fatigue, nausea, sleeping difficulty, dysphoria, to name just a few. The anxiety was overwhelming.

The body and brain work to maintain a state of balance, homeostasis. Taking substances changes that balance so the body has to adjust, including changing the levels of certain neurotransmitters which trigger the release of chemicals. The body builds a tolerance and/or dependence on the substance which means it requires the substance in order to avoid withdrawal effects. I am fortunate to have very close support from family and friends and services from the NHS have been invaluable to me. I am now (touches head/wood) able to say that I have at present recovered from the debilitating symptoms and am back on a regular medication plan, which I won't ever stop, despite what my crazy brain may try to tell me. 


Returning to Medication (after stupidly stopping it ) (wwwrite-place.blogspot.com)

Three and a half days later and The Black Dawg (wwwrite-place.blogspot.com)

Yoga Nidra Meditation 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiral

To Where We Belong - Musings on a mill pond

Seventy Five Years On - "I Am Neveen" - A Palestinian Child's Story