Crossing Borders Sequel - Changing Lives : Preface

 

                           

 

                                   *Preface*

 

                "But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man 

                                           and the life he leads? "  

                                                Albert Camus

   


So what happened next?


This is the question I have had from many people who have read “Crossing Borders”
(my account of my meeting with my Palestinian husband) and of those who have learned of the background of my husband and step family. It was not my intention, when telling of the events which led us to be here in Britain, to continue the account of the rest of our lives or even to tell anything further about our relationship. But it seems that some follow up  is wanted by readers and perhaps, to be honest, it is needed for myself too.

I have sometimes struggled with how to describe the events following our arrival in this country, but decided that the only way is to "tell it as it is”.  It is told obviously, from my point of view, but I have added the views of others as and when necessary.

This “sequel” has been in and on my mind for a long time now. It is, potentially more topical and perhaps even more controversial than "Crossing Borders" itself and  is difficult and painful to write and to remember many episodes. I generally write as things come to me - Chapter 12 may be written after Chapter 16 and Chapter 1 might be the last to be produced before editing, shuffling to make the final copy. But as this is biography, it is not straightforward to just report situations. As in most stories, the end does not always turn out as expected, and the end is difficult to ascertain anyway.  


I ended “Crossing Borders” with a comment that a friend in Ramallah had made when I asked him how I could ever possibly finish it with events constantly happening. His reply was that the story never ends – because this is the way of life and we continue to experience new things or maybe the same things but with a different perspective on them.


This seems appropriate for this story too.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiral

To Where We Belong - Musings on a mill pond

Seventy Five Years On - "I Am Neveen" - A Palestinian Child's Story