Internet is changing our thought processes ...

 The debate over how prolonged internet use is affecting our brain is on again. The ‘mind change’ brought about by using the internet needs urgent research to work out its long-term effects - so says Professor Susan Greenfield.
She fears that technologies are “ infantilising the brain into the state of small children who are attracted by buzzing noises and bright lights, who have a small attention span and who live for the moment “
I know what she means. My mind seems to be completely infantilised and my attention span is mostly lower than the average 2 year olds (as I often comment on) Whether this is due to the internet or not of course, needs researching too.
Search engines are “driving us to distraction” and technology is moving faster than neuroscience can monitor its effect on our brains. In simple speak I think that means we don’t know what it is doing to our thought processes. I know that advert about search engines that's on the telly lately drives me to distraction – drives me straight away from the tv back to the computer actually.
I agree with what the professor says, and most of us would say that too much internet use is as bad for our health as eating too many chips or drinking too much red wine. But the “powers that be” don’t half encourage it. Many things now are only able to be done online and it’s cheaper and stuff – banking, shopping etc etc  We of course do still have the self control switch, but if pressure on life makes us go online more than we think is necessary, well it’s not all our fault, is it ?

Friend has just this morning had new broadband line fitted, so am away to provide my valuable tekky support on installing the router. See if I can get my thought processes around that one.


Comments

Anonymous said…
...and as writers, the Internet is invaluable for research and networking, and being able to submit without going to the post office... I love it! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Spiral

To Where We Belong - Musings on a mill pond

Seventy Five Years On - "I Am Neveen" - A Palestinian Child's Story