Betrayal of my Principles or Something Else : Vaccines and Guilt

 In a couple of hours I, along with my 20 year old grandson, will be standing in line to receive our "vaccination" for Covid 19.

He, because he had Non Hodgkinsons T Cell Lymophoma aged 2, and me because I am over 60 years old.

Over the past year I , as well as millions of others have been thinking about one thing and 
one thing only - Covid 19. 
It has been very difficult not to think about it as news and developments of this Corona Virus gradually increased from snippets of news and anecdotal stories to full blown panic and what seemed to me to be hysteria and culminating on March 23rd 2020 as full blown "Lockdown - a term which I had previously associated with riots in US prisons. The media participation became almost manic along with the "Daily Briefings" from Government and the 3 word slogans which soon became  an essential part of our lives. 
Weekly decrees announced the next round of restrictive "measures" which soon became "laws" to adhere to and  before long it was illegal to take part in the majority of things which make our lives worth living. 

Throughout the following months I have adhered to the "rules" as much as I could whilst researching a deeply as I could into the background of "The Science" around this "Deadly Disease" and the responses to this by our government in UK and others across the world.

It is not my intention here to discuss the outcomes of Covid 19 medically or otherwise or to question what I have come to believe and learned from reading, listening and research. 
We have all had our own experiences of this past 13 months, some more devastating than others, though all as equally important to each person. By now the majority of us know all too well the effects of the lockdowns, mentally, physically, socially and economically. Suffice to say that life has changed immeasurably and we must change our behaviour accordingly and /or face the consequences, personally and as a country.

I have been quite vocal about the situation, with my family and on social media and given my views frequently and openly. Anyone reading my comments on Twitter or anywhere else should have no doubt as to my views on the whole Corona Virus situation. But until now, my views could be taken or left alone depending on the person reading or responding to them, including my family.

Now though, with the "invitation" to have the vaccine/gene therapy or whatever else it is named, I have had to think long and hard on whether to accept it.  Not because I am afraid to have it for whatever reason, or because I have come to realise that my stance on the situation over the months has changed. It hasn't.

I am "accepting" the vaccine for the perhaps honourable reason of preventing my children from worrying about me ... and also for the possibly selfish reason of ensuring if I would be "allowed" if I wish to go on holiday or  travel anywhere in the future. My children's peace of mind over worrying about me is the uppermost in my mind. 

So this is where I feel my principles are compromised or even rashly and subjectively abandoned.

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the journalist and writer Peter Hitchens Peter Hitchen and have read most of his books and articles, and agree with his views on a majority  of issues.  A week ago, he wrote in his Mail on Sunday column about having the Covid19 vaccine and gave his reasons why. 
Though he has never dismissed the idea of it, or particularly discussed it on his platforms, he has been castigated by a number of people for his actions, labelling him selfish and hypocritical  - though I believe he is neither and it is of no one else's business but his own. He has spent a large part of his week since then refuting the spurious claims about his character and opinions and responding to the "outrage" from people on the internet.

Am I also being selfish and hypocritical to take the vaccine today, whilst spending the past year voicing my opinions on the whole situation ?s

That is a question from someone other than me to answer. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiral

To Where We Belong - Musings on a mill pond

Seventy Five Years On - "I Am Neveen" - A Palestinian Child's Story